- What kind of apps can I build?
Developers have multiple options when building against Thinkific's APIs.
- Public apps use OAuth for authentication and are listed on the Thinkific App Store
- Private apps use OAuth for authentication, but are not listed on the Thinkific App Store
- API Key integrations use Thinkific's built-in API Keys for authentication
Public and Private Apps
Public and private apps are built with the intention of being distributed and installed on many Thinkific sites. To create an app, you'll need to:
- Apply to become a Thinkific App Partner
- Create an App in the Partner Portal
If you want your app to appear in the Thinkific App Store (as a public app), you must submit your app for review.
NOTE: Private apps are intended for use by a single Thinkific site. We strongly encourage private apps with 10 or more installations to submit their app for consideration and review as a public app in the Thinkific App Store.
API Key integration
API Key integration are built with the intention of being used on one specific Thinkific site. To create an integration, you'll need to:
- Find your API key and subdomain
- Use a Thinkific account that is on the Grow/Pro + Growth plan or higher
NOTE: Thinkific API Key integration will be sunset at some point in the future. We thus recommend creating apps over integrations.
Note that some developer features are only available if you are building a public or private app. For instance:
- Automating the creation of Site Scripts
- Automating the creation of Theme Extensions
- Allowing Single Sign On using OIDC
- Creating a consistent, low friction installation flow